LONDON, GREATER LONDON, UK, November 23, 2017 /EINPresswire.com/ — Despite the growth in their ageing populations, Western Europe and North America, the world’s two largest markets for drugs to treat diseases of the brain, spinal cord and nerves, are growing at only 2.9% year on year. In contrast other regions display vigorous growth. Asia Pacific’s market, which is nearly as large as that of Western Europe, will grow at almost 9% year on year to 2020, and so will the smaller market of the Middle East. Africa and South America will also see above average growth.
The global market for these central nervous system drugs will be worth $83 billion in 2020, around 8% of the total for all pharma.
These medications are used to treat disorders such as epilepsy, Alzheimer’s Disease and other dementias, cerebrovascular diseases including stroke, migraine and other headache disorders, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, neuroinfections, traumatic disorders of the nervous system due to head trauma, and neurological disorders as a result of malnutrition.
Greater affordability of treatments with growing GDP per capita in the emerging markets help account for rapid growth in the markets for these drugs.
The top-selling neurological medication brands in 2016 included Copaxone, Lyrica, and Tecfidera. The market for these drugs is more concentrated than that for most drugs, as the leading ten competitors account for two-thirds of the total instead of, as in the case of cardiovascular drugs, around one-third. America's Biogen is the market leader, closely followed by the Swiss Hoffman-La Roche, both with close to 12% of global sales; the USA's Johnson and Johnson is in third place with an about 9% share.
One of the trends shaping the market is s use of biomarkers to improve CNS drug development process. A biomarker is a biological variable which has a statistically significant relationship with parameters of disease states or drug candidates. It can be used to diagnose or predict disease, monitor disease progression and predict treatment response. Examples of biomarkers include protein levels, axonal damage, pulse, blood pressure and complex laboratory tests of blood and other tissues. Biomarkers can increase the statistical power of clinical trials and predict drug accuracy better than conventional clinical endpoints. This enhances product development and results in more effective treatments. The global CNS biomarker market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 20.7% through 2017, thus indicating a significant potential for biomarkers in this industry. Major drugmakers such as Pfizer, Biogen, Amgen, Novartis AG, Merck, Eli Lilly and Sanofi are involved in CNS biomarker drug development.
Where to Learn More
Read Central Nervous System Drugs Market Global Report 2017 from The Business Research Company for information on the following:
Markets Covered: Analgesics, Anti-Parkinson Drugs, Anaesthetics, Anti-Epileptics, Other CNS Drugs
Companies Mentioned: Pfizer Inc., Biogen Idec, Novartis AG, Otsuka, and Teva Pharmaceuticals
Countries: Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Spain, Russia, UK, USA and Australia.
Regions: Asia-Pacific, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, South America, Middle East And Africa
Time series: Five years historic and forecast.
Data: Ratios of market size and growth to related markets, GDP, Expenditure Per Capita, The Musculoskeletal Disorders Drugs Indicators Comparison.
Data segmentations: country and regional historic and forecast data, market share of competitors, market segments.
Sourcing and Referencing: Data and analysis throughout the report is sourced using end notes.
Interested to know more? Here is a full scope of Biologics and Pharmaceutical Drugs Market reports to explore:
1. Biologics Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/biologics-market-global-report-2017/)
2. Gastrointestinal Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/gastrointestinal-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
3. Cardiovascular Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/cardiovascular-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
4. Dermatology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/dermatology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
5. Anti-infective Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/anti-infective-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
6. Genito-Urinary Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/genito-urinary-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
7. Hematology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/hematology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
8. Metabolic Disorder Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/metabolic-disorders-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
9. Musculoskeletal Disorders Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/musculoskeletal-disorders-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
10. Ophthalmology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/ophthalmology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
11. Pharmaceutical Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/pharmaceutical-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
12. Respiratory Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/respiratory-diseases-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
13. Oncology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/oncology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
About The Business Research Company
Visit TheBusinesResearchCompany.com. The Business Research Company is a market research and intelligence company which excels in company, market and consumer research. It has research professionals at its office in the UK, India, and the US as well a network of trained researchers globally. It has specialist consultants in a wide range of industries including manufacturing, healthcare, financial services and technology. The Business Research Company’s management have more than 20 years of varied business research experience. They have delivered hundreds of research projects to the senior management of some of the world’s largest organizations. The Business Research Company’s Consultant have master’s qualifications from top institutes and include MBAs, MSCs, CFAs and CAs. The Business Research Company’s Consultants gain training and qualifications from the market Research Society and are trained in advanced research practices, techniques, and ethics.
The Business Research Company
+44 744 3439350
email us here
Source: EIN Presswire