LONDON, GREATER LONDON, UK, November 24, 2017 /EINPresswire.com/ — The largest markets for medications to treat illnesses of the stomach and intestines are North America and Asia Pacific and those two are also growing faster than any other region of the world. North America's market, at 30% of the global total, is a short head in front of Asia Pacific's for size, while Asia Pacific's, rising at nearly 7% a year, is a little in front of North America's for growth. The global market for this category of drugs is worth approaching $60 billion a year and is growing at 4.5% annually. It accounts for about 6% of the global pharma market as a whole.
The gastrointestinal drugs market covers medicines used for the treatment of ulcerative colitis, diverticular disease, perianal infections, anal fissures, hemorrhoids, constipation, and irritable bowel syndrome. The key gastrointestinal drugs include anti-peptic agents (antacids, antagonists, proton pump inhibitors, sucralfates, and misoprostols), antiemetics, adsorbents, anticholinergics, opiates, intestinal flora modifiers, emollient/surfactants, hyperosmotic, saline, and stimulant/irritants.
Many of these drugs can be bought without prescription in pharmacies or supermarkets and convenience stores. Widespread availability and often low unit price are factors that boost sales in poorer regions or in poor areas of rich regions like North America, which includes Mexico. This helps explain why Asia Pacific's share of the global total for this market, at over 25%, is above its 21% share of the global total for pharma as a whole.
The market for gastrointestinal drugs is quite fragmented, with above 70% shared among the many small companies outside the leading 7 and only one company, Japan's Takeda Pharmaceuticals, having an market share that approaches 10%. The second and third largest companies in the market are Allergan of the USA and the Danish Novo Nordisk, each with shares a little over 5% of the total.
One of the trends shaping the market is a development of medications such as tranexamic acid to treat gastrointestinal bleeding. Drug manufacturing companies are offering tranexamic acid for the treatment of acute gastrointestinal bleeding. Tranexamic acid is a medication used to treat or prevent excessive blood loss from major trauma or surgery and is now finding applications for gastrointestinal diseases. Tranexamic acid reduces clot breakdown, thus reducing the duration and amount of bleeding. This reduces mortality rate (from 10% to 7.5%) and the probability of blood transfusion by about 30%. Major companies manufacturing tranexamic acid include Abbott Laboratories, Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline and Bayer AG.
Where to Learn More
Read Gastrointestinal Drugs Market Global Report 2017 from The Business Research Company for information on the following:
Markets Covered: Antacids, Antiulcerants, Vitamin And Minerals, Antiobesity Drugs, Antiemetics And Antinauseants, Antidiarrhoeals
Companies Mentioned: AbbVie, Johnson & Johnson, Takeda Pharmaceticals, Allergan, and UCB
Countries: Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Spain, Russia, UK, USA and Australia.
Regions: Asia-Pacific, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, South America, Middle East And Africa
Time series: Five years historic and forecast.
Data: Ratios of market size and growth to related markets, GDP, Expenditure Per Capita, The Musculoskeletal Disorders Drugs Indicators Comparison.
Data segmentations: country and regional historic and forecast data, market share of competitors, market segments.
Sourcing and Referencing: Data and analysis throughout the report is sourced using end notes.
Interested to know more? Here is a full scope of Biologics and Pharmaceutical Drugs Market reports to explore:
1. Biologics Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/biologics-market-global-report-2017/)
2. Central Nervous System Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/central-nervous-system-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
3. Cardiovascular Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/cardiovascular-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
4. Dermatology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/dermatology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
5. Anti-infective Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/anti-infective-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
6. Genito-Urinary Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/genito-urinary-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
7. Hematology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/hematology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
8. Metabolic Disorder Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/metabolic-disorders-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
9. Musculoskeletal Disorders Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/musculoskeletal-disorders-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
10. Ophthalmology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/ophthalmology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
11. Pharmaceutical Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/pharmaceutical-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
12. Respiratory Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/respiratory-diseases-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
13. Oncology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/oncology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
About The Business Research Company
Visit TheBusinesResearchCompany.com. The Business Research Company is a market research and intelligence company which excels in company, market and consumer research. It has research professionals at its office in the UK, India, and the US as well a network of trained researchers globally. It has specialist consultants in a wide range of industries including manufacturing, healthcare, financial services and technology. The Business Research Company’s management have more than 20 years of varied business research experience. They have delivered hundreds of research projects to the senior management of some of the world’s largest organizations. The Business Research Company’s Consultant have master’s qualifications from top institutes and include MBAs, MSCs, CFAs and CAs. The Business Research Company’s Consultants gain training and qualifications from the market Research Society and are trained in advanced research practices, techniques, and ethics.
The Business Research Company
+44 744 3439350
email us here
Source: EIN Presswire