LONDON, GREATER LONDON, UK, October 11, 2017 /EINPresswire.com/ — By 2020, the market for drugs to treat conditions like arthritis and osteoporosis will be the largest global pharma segment, worth $164 billion a year. That compares with cancer drugs, which will be worth $154 billion in 2020 and cardiovascular at $134 billion.
The explanation lies with the different drug market growth rates from 2016 to 2020 – global musculoskeletal drug sales will increase at nearly 8% year on year, those for cancer at 7% and for heart-related disease at a mere 2%.
The fastest-growing pharma segment will be that for metabolic disorders (to treat conditions such as diabetes and disorders of the thyroid and pituitary gland) but this will still in 2020 be in fifth place for market size behind the musculoskeletal, oncology, cardiovascular and anti-infective drug markets.
The pharma market as a whole was worth $886 billion in 2016 and will reach $1105 billion in 2020, growing at 5.7%, an accelerated pace compared to 4.9% for the years before 2016.
North America (the USA, Canada and Mexico) will continue to be the largest regional market for the pharma companies, worth $397 billion a year, with Asia Pacific in next place with $256 billion of annual sales. Growth has been and will continue to be spread across all regions of the world, though faster in some than others. North America's growth will be only 5% a year, below the global average, while Asia Pacific's will be the highest globally at 8.4% per annum. Western Europe is expected to have the lowest annual growth rate of 3.6% from 2016 to 2020. Its share in the global market in 2016 was 19.9% worth $176.1 billion. It is expected to grow to $202.9 billion by 2020.
The pharmaceutical drugs industry comprises establishments that develop drugs to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent diseases. Pharmaceutical companies produce both generic and branded drugs. Pharmaceutical drugs are subject to a number of laws and regulations that deal with patenting, testing, safety, efficacy and marketing and affect the size and growth rates of the market. Pharmaceutical companies produce pharmaceutical drugs made from active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) and excipients.
The leading pharma companies are Swiss company Novartis, with just under 5% of the global market in 2016, followed by Sanofi, which is French, then Hoffmann-La Roche, Swiss again. The top ten pharmaceutical manufacturers shared a little over 30% of the global market between them.
Where to Learn More
Read Pharmaceutical Drugs Market Global Report 2017 from The Business Research Company for information on the following:
Markets Covered: Cardiovascular Disorders, Dermatology, Gastrointestinal Diseases, Genito-Urinary Disorders, Hematology, Infectious Diseases, Metabolic Disorders, Musculoskeletal Disorders, Central Nervous System, Oncology, Ophthalmology, Respiratory Diseases
Companies Mentioned: Johnson & Johnson, Novartis AG, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Pfizer Inc., and Sanofi
Countries: Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Spain, Russia, UK, USA and Australia.
Regions: Asia-Pacific, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, South America, Middle East And Africa
Time series: Five years historic and forecast.
Data: Ratios of market size and growth to related markets, GDP, Expenditure Per Capita, The Pharmaceutical Drugs Indicators Comparison.
Data segmentations: country and regional historic and forecast data, market share of competitors, market segments.
Sourcing and Referencing: Data and analysis throughout the report is sourced using end notes.
Interested to know more? Here is a full scope of Biologics and Pharmaceutical Drugs Market reports to explore:
1. Biologics Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/biologics-market-global-report-2017/)
2. Anti-infective Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/anti-infective-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
3. Cardiovascular Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/cardiovascular-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
4. Central Nervous System Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/central-nervous-system-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
5. Dermatology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/dermatology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
6. Genito-Urinary Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/genito-urinary-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
7. Hematology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/hematology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
8. Metabolic Disorder Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/metabolic-disorders-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
9. Musculoskeletal Disorders Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/musculoskeletal-disorders-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
10. Ophthalmology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/ophthalmology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
11. Gastrointestinal Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/gastrointestinal-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
12. Respiratory Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/respiratory-diseases-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
13. Oncology Drugs Market Global Report 2017 (https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/our-research/healthcare/pharmaceuticals/oncology-drugs-market-global-report-2017/)
About The Business Research Company
Visit TheBusinesResearchCompany.com. The Business Research Company is a market research and intelligence company which excels in company, market and consumer research. It has research professionals at its office in the UK, India, and the US as well a network of trained researchers globally. It has specialist consultants in a wide range of industries including manufacturing, healthcare, financial services and technology. The Business Research Company’s management have more than 20 years of varied business research experience. They have delivered hundreds of research projects to the senior management of some of the world’s largest organizations. The Business Research Company’s Consultant have master’s qualifications from top institutes and include MBAs, MSCs, CFAs and CAs. The Business Research Company’s Consultants gain training and qualifications from the market Research Society and are trained in advanced research practices, techniques, and ethics.
The Business Research Company
+44 744 3439350
email us here
Source: EIN Presswire